This card started as a failed background! I had smooshed some card with distress inks, spattered some water over and blotted off, then over stamped with some grungy spatters. But I didn't like the end result and put it to one side. Then I saw an idea in a magazine (not sure which one) about some new cover up dies from Memory Box, which have a negative image cut result and the magazine had placed these over patterned or inked backgrounds. This made me wonder about using my own dies in a similar way and I chose this Memory Box butterfly.
The layers are, from base up: card blank, burgundy cardstock mat (which needs to be wider but I'm going with it!), splotchy background, white cardstock with negative die cut - I kept all the bits of this as some would need to be slotted back in. Then the same die used on pink cardstock fits into the negative space and the three pieces between the leaves/stems and the butterflies are stuck back in. I cut separate antennae from another MB butterfly set, in the same burgundy as the mat.
If I had planned a bit more as to where I was going with this, I would have used Stick It sheet adhesive on the pink die cut and white top piece - it was a bit fiddly doing it with Herma!!
I really like this inlaid effect, must try it with more of my dies. After I have ordered some more Stick It ...... LOL.