A blog for cooking and crafts

Wednesday, 15 November 2017

UK Scrappers Christmas Countdown Day 15

Today I am taking part in the UKS Christmas Countdown :-)  Some lovely projects posted so far!

This gingerbread men screen card is not very complicated to make and looks very effective.  It can be customised to fit your own border punch, or done to standard measurements - this one is customised. A sheet of 12 x 12 will make two blanks. All measurements in inches :-)

Customised measurements and method:

  • Cut a 12 x 12 sheets of cardstock into two 6 x 12 strips
  • Punch along the top edge with your chosen border punch
  • Count the pattern repeats on the border
  • Work out the nearest number divisible by four - this punch made 34 repeats, so the number needed is 32
  • Cut off the extra repeats and score three times at equal distances along the card - so in this case that's every eight repeats
  • Use a bracket-type punch to make the 'legs' by using the top half only to punch at the base of the card, centrally in each section
  • Cut four panels of patterned paper to fit
  • Die cut letters and gingerbread men and assemble
Standard measurements and method:
  • Cut the strips to 11 x 6
  • Punch along the top
  • Score at 2.75, 5.5 and 8.25
  • Continue as above
The standard method is obviously quicker, it's just that I like my pattern repeats to line up with the score lines ..... LOL.
The paper is from Craft Creations, the letters are from Die-namics (stitched alpha), the gingerbread man is from Tonic and the punch is from Stampin' Up.

Sunday, 12 November 2017

50th birthday card

I made this for a work colleague, we presented it yesterday so now I can share :-)

The blank card was cut on the Silhouette, I used this file from Craftsuprint.  It has the card base, a mat and the numbers, all can be cut from a sheet of A4 - I cut the base twice in purple and the mat and numbers in white.
I cut one base in half and embossed it with a folder - I could have just embossed half the main base, but a lot of people had to sign the inside, which would have been difficult on a debossed surface!  Then the embossed half-base was attached to the main one.
The numbers were also embossed and then inked with distress inks in purple, teal and pink.  I attached them to the white mat and then the whole topper to the card.
Then I was a bit stuck - part of the brief was butterflies, but I couldn't find a butterfly die which looked right, perched on the 50.  But whilst looking through the box, I came across the champagne glass and pearly trail, which were perfect.  They were die cut in Bazzill Diamond Bling and the small butterflies were punched to match.  A few pearls and it was done.
I am very pleased with this - she couldn't open all her cards at the party so I hope she is pleased too .... I'll find out tomorrow :-)