A blog for cooking and crafts

Wednesday, 22 July 2015

Beat the Christmas Rush - June

Just in time for this one - a couple of days before the closing date!  For details of the BtCR challenge, nip over to Krafty Karen's Fantastic Place.

I decided to make three cards using a new Memory Box die.  I cut three snowflake ribbons from Bazzill bling in Diamond, backed with Stick It adhesive.  It turned out to be a very fiddly die-cut to peel the backing off, I ruined the first one completely.  The secret is to remove it slowly and in one piece, if you try to take the 'arms' off on their own they just detach themselves from the main snowflake!!
So then I had two die-cuts.  I backed them onto Bazzill bling in Sparkle, I do like the white / aqua combination.  I wanted to round opposite corners, but did a wrong one on the first card, so had to round them all!  The second card went to plan :-)

For the third card, I took my already prepared base of Sparkle and die-cut the wording to go over it (Memory Box).  Very simple, but it does look nice.  Again, I would recommend a slow and steady removal of the Stick It backing paper for this die!

So that's three more for the Christmas box and soon the July BtCR will be coming up, hopefully I will be a little more organised for that one!

Tuesday, 14 July 2015

UFO - Ikea drawers

Are you sitting comfortably?
Once upon a time ....... we bought six Ikea Fira drawers.  They hung around for a while, I decorated one as a gift and one for ourselves, leaving four awaiting processing.  They waited ... and waited....

I think they are now around 15 years old, Ikea don't even make them anymore, though they still have a similar item, with different dimensions.  The good news is - I have finished another one!!!

I coloured the wood edges with promarkers and intended to cover the top, sides and drawer fronts with some of my precious Venice paper.  This required two sheets, I only had one of the brown colourway I wanted to use, so had to go for a green pattern instead.  The drawer fronts were fine, but unfortunately the paper is quite delicate and the larger top piece just wouldn't lie flat onto the item, I ended up ruining the paper .  So a swift change of plan was needed ....... I painted the top and sides instead, which meant I could have used the brown paper for the fronts after all LOL.  But I am happy with the green, it has turned quite well :-)

Now to decide what to do with the next one, they are all going to be different LOL.