A blog for cooking and crafts

Sunday 15 June 2014

Mixed Media - Clock & Butterfly

This is a present for my friend's daughter, based on the mixed media piece of wall art I did a little while ago, here.



I didn't take step by step photos, as I was quite anxious to get it finished in time, but the basic procedure is as follows.....
  • Cut some greyboard to fit the chosen frame - I knew that I would be using a mount to allow room for the crystals, so I cut the board to 10 x 8", and marked out the visible area of 8 x 6".  Cover both sides with gesso - the back won't be seen, of course, but it does seem to stop the piece warping if both sides are primed.
  • Die-cut your chosen shapes in white card.
  • Gather the 'background' items together - masks and stamps.
  • Work out placement of die-cuts, then stamp/emboss where required.  I used brown embossing powder as I wasn't sure how it would take everything that was going over it - if it acted as a resist, brown would look OK (though I did end up putting Treasure Gold over it anyway!).
  • Adhere die cuts.
  • Use texture paste through the masks in required areas.  Leave to dry.
  • Cover everything with gesso, leave to dry.  I did speed this up with a heat gun!
  • Apply colours  .... I have used mists and alcohol inks, using water from a mister to help everything flow around the piece nicely.  Dry thoroughly with a heat gun between each colour so the colours don't muddy together.
  • When happy with the result, make sure everything is completely dry and apply Treasure Gold to various raised areas.  I have used Classic Gold on the clock dial, the embossed script and a little over the texture squares  in the corners, Onyxite on the die-cut corners, the clock hands and the butterfly.  The gears and clock centres have the misleadingly-named Sapphire, it is not really blue, much more of a teal!
  • Place crystals here and there :-)
  • Leave for at least a couple of hours to let the solvents from the TG evaporate off before placing behind the glass in the frame.
I took the photo without the glass, to avoid reflections.  My friend is very happy with it and will let me know if her daughter likes it ...... fingers crossed :-)

4 comments: